Monday, February 18, 2013

SPAZZ: Editing


I just had a major spazz moment....

And it wasn't even to a request from a query (haven't send those out). I don't know what might happen if one of those ends up in my inbox. I might not be capable of typing a post, then. Heck, I was hardly capable of typing this post a minute ago because I do some really strange things when I'm really really really happy.

...Like the time I whole up the whole house at 3 AM when SAT scores  came out...

...oooor the time I found out I won a National Gold Medal for the Scholastic Art and Writing Award for a drawing of my good friend. I ran into the girls bathroom because I was laughing so hard that I had to pee and I ended up laughing in the stall, too, but that's okay because nobody was in the bathroom. At least I hope nobody was.

Now, I've just run 3 laps up and down the steps, done a bunch of jumping jacks, thrown myself on the couch, and laughed creepily. I really need to do something about the laughing. I don't think it's quite the right reaction of good news.

THE GIRL WITH THE GREEN PEN has agreed to help me crit my work! I had to send the dear dear Taryn samples of my writing because while I'm kind of in the situation of the POOR STUDENT, I knew the moment that I found her website that I would not hesitate to pay because I NEEDED HER WISDOM:

Because even though I'm the editor of the literary and art magazine at my school, I can't seem to do half as well a job on my own work.

Because I am a creature of momentum and editing kills my momentum and then I become majorly infected with a case of this is so bad! This needs surgery! I can't do surgery *shoves story into drawer*. 

That's what happened to MS #1.  Except I have a much better feeling about MS #2. Still, I don't quite trust myself to cut it open and not panic at the same time.

OK, so I really need to finish up my first pass now :D Tell me how you like to edit or if you prefer drafting to revising!

4 comments:

  1. Yay, good news is always awesome! :) I got my first full manuscript request while I was staying at a hotel, and I ended up running up and down the halls screaming and laughing, and managed to wake up half the place since it was only like 8:00 in the morning. So I can totally commiserate with you about crazy reactions. Congrats!

    I've always been more interested in the initial drafting process than revising, but I'm slowly getting better at editing too. I still have a distinct hatred for rewriting things, though--right now I have to rewrite the better part of the novel I'm currently working on getting ready for querying out to agents, and it's driving me NUTS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate! I don't have problem with working out awkward sentences or fixing paragraphs, but major rewrites scare me. I never know if what I'm actually rewriting is better that the original so I rewrite on a separate document but it just ends up getting too messy. Also, I'm kind of a slower writer so whenever I'm faced with a rewrite I start thinking about how much time I put into the already written scene x.x It's a bad habit.

    Ah! That's so exciting! Is the novel Cadence or Dreamcatcher or something else entirely? If you ever need an extra eye last minute, let me know :) I'd be more than glad to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It's the not knowing whether the rewrite is actually helping or not that bugs me so much.

      It's Dreamcatcher, and I might just have to take you up on that offer. :)

      Delete
    2. I loved your premise in your query so I'd def read. Usually, I crit through googledoc since it's easy to share without emailing back and forth + easy to comment. My email is joanart6@gmail.com

      Delete