Saturday, October 26, 2013

NaNoWriMo 2013: The Prelude

Before I begin doing the heavy-lifting myself, I'd like to share this blog post with all of you because I'm pretty sure I couldn't have better worded my views on Nanowrimo.

In the upcoming days and the coming month, I hope to document my own experiences with Nano and keep you updated throughout the month because it's so important to remember that you are not alone. Nano is that one time of the year that you know for sure that everyone is head-bashing on their laptops/typewriters/notebooks just like you are.

Let's begin with the ultimate question: will I be Nanoing this year?




Of course I have to give a vague answer: yes and no.

On YES

-I will sit down to write everyday
-I WILL get words down everyday
-I will follow Office of Letters and Light (the amazing blog that founded and works in sync with Nano)
-I will try to haul my butt out to the writing sessions in Philly hosted by the awesome ML's
-I will be cheering for and with all my other fellow writers as we jump through this ring of fire together

On NO

-the more words the better, but I won't be religiously aiming for 1,667. I will stop for the day once I feel like my writing is becoming crap
-on the same note, I refuse to settle for crap*
-branching on that, I will focus on quality over quantity**
-my goal is not to win. Winning will be nice, but my goal is to write more of my story.

*I think the best advice I can give to anyone wondering if they should Nano or not is to know yourself. Know yourself as a writer. I personally know that I will get attached to my writing, even if it is crap, and will have a hard time in the future cutting out all that crap. And so my strategy is not to write major crap in the first place (minor crap can't be avoided).

**MS #1 suffered from quantity over quality and is still in need of a rewrite.

Will you be Nanoing this year? If you will be blogging about Nano this year, I'd love to follow your journey so please link your blog in the comments! 




3 comments:

  1. Yay for NaNoing! And yay for doing it your own way. (I like to think of the rules as guidelines rather than laws.)

    I'll definitely be both participating and blogging about participating next month, so count me in your list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, that's so exciting! What's your nano username?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete