Sunday, April 14, 2013

Querying: Magic Numbers

I love Query Tracker. It's like excel for querying.

As of this moment, I have 9 queries out. 4 agents were speedy with their form rejections. I really appreciate the speedy ones because if there's anything that makes me all fuzzy and itchy on the inside in a bad way, it's not knowing. I am an inherent pessimist at heart, so I can honestly say that I'm not upset by any of the rejections, even the ones from agents whom I really admire. I had already braced myself for rejection**

**Not promoting this as a great philosophy of life. Please don't be a pessimist :)

What I am worried about is the Magic Number. Call me stupid, but I'm convinced that such a thing exists. That number that tells you to step back. That number that makes you start doubting the quality of your query or your MS. That rejection after sending out a full (I have yet to send mine. I know, I should get on it) that makes you seriously consider whether or not you should revise...again.

There's a number floating around: 10%. Apparently, if you are getting a 10% request rate, you can relax and pat yourself on the back for being on the right track.

But if not, then what?

The average number of queries before getting a request is 65.

But if not, then what? What if I hit 100 queries? What do I do then?

I guess my point is that these numbers scare me. Maybe they actually mean something. After all, there are so many writers out there and so many bits of data about rejection rates and number of queries sent and whatnot that these number MUST hold some validity.

At the same time, I'm a writer, not a mathematician :D

Do you ever worry about the number of request you get in relation to the number of queries you have sent?


4 comments:

  1. I'm always worried about the numbers game. I wish there was just a set out, tried-and-true formula for how to deal with it all. I can tell you this, though: If you are getting requests at all, then you're doing something right. Don't worry too much about it. :) (Now get on sending out that FM!) (Also: Query Tracker totally deserves a Nobel Prize or something. It is such a brilliant service.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really really hope to get the full out tonight *crosses fingers* Hard to reconcile that it's never going to be PERFECT.

      Delete
  2. I definitely worry about it. Like you, I'm a natural worrier! I do think it's a good idea to "listen" to what agents are saying about our pitches (whether by requests, or forms, or silence).

    Better to send out 10 queries and realize a pitch revision is in order than to send out 100 and spoil the chances of contacting the agents with a new & improved pitch!

    And I love Query Tracker too for all those statisticky reasons =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed with the batch by 10. I'm currently doing 5. Thinking about upping it.

      Delete