Sunday, March 13, 2016

Writing in College

Been meaning to write this post, and since it's the end of my spring break, I thought I'd get it up! From the title, you'll know that I'm going to get down to the truth of how I make time to write in college.

For a similar reads, here are some general tips I gave in a pervious post: 3 tips on juggling writing and school


A lot of writers are faced with the sentiment: "oh, I wish I had that much time to write!" And while the frustration writers feel in response is usually universal, everyone has a different way of making the time. Some carve out sacred hours. Some save the writing for weekends. For me, and for many others most likely, it's all about leading that double life.

STUDENT AND WRITER

I do decently in school, which fools people into thinking that I'm a massive try-hard (e.g. I was nominated for the "most likely to study for the SATs after the SATs" superlative senior year of high school, which was totally untrue--until I accepted the job to tutor SATs and then yes, I did have to study for the SATs three years after taking them -___-).

The truth is, I don't actually give school my all. I procrastinate. I cut corners by studying "just enough", whatever that means to whomever. I have a fantastic short-term memory which, to the dismay of my mom who would really like me to master Chinese, means that I excel at taking vocab quizzes by cramming the characters and forget them shortly afterwards.

But the aforementioned things alone do not "make" the time, especially since I am possibly one of the slowest writers I know. Instead, I've had to make decisions, most easy, but some harder.

I would be as busy as any other undergraduate if not for the following choices:

DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying that these are good or bad choices. These are simply choices that work for me.
  • I'm majoring in psychology, which isn't a walk in the park, but plays toward my strengths of being able to read and memorize, meaning that I can be more efficient in learning the material, meaning that I have more time to write. 
  • I'm not minoring, because I'd rather take a random assortment of classes for the pure sake of interest than fulfilling more required credits. This allows me to broaden my knowledge base and dabble in many things, which makes for inspiration, and also allows me more time. 
  • I take 4 classes each semester, which is 1 class fewer than the average load of 5. 
  • I participate in one club.
  • (and this one I hesitate to list because it's not an active choice...for the most part). I have no social life. A lot of people say this, but I say this and live this. I've never been to a single party even though I'm at a college with a "work hard, play hard" philosophy. I rarely hang out in person with friends. By nature, I am a super-introvert, and I like to hermit, so as I've said, it's mostly personal preference.
Am I sacrificing a bit of my college experience? Yes. Am I taking risks? Yes. Though I keep in contact with the the close ones, I might have fewer friends than the average fresh-out-of-college student at graduation. Minors might become all the rage, and I might not be able to find a job without one. Psychology isn't exactly the easiest field to find a career in, especially without a higher degree. 

But I take these risks. I've taken them before.

BEFORE

Before I lived the double life of student and writer, I lived the double life of student and artist. Looking back on the years (age 7-14), those "sacrifices" weren't as big as I made them out to be (Weekends spent in the studio. Weekdays spent in the studio. Competitions entered, competitions lost. Less time for playdates, more time spent staring at nude models, which is always a fun conversation topic now, but wasn't something I could casually bring up back in middle school). But they hurt as a kid. And I ultimately "quit" art (stepped off the professional track) because I was neither mature enough to understand why things had to be less than fun sometimes NOR (and this is key) passionate enough about art. 

NOW

I'm grateful that I experienced those previous years, because they've taught me that if you have a dream that you are passionate about, you have to give it your all, embracing both the bits that are fun and the bits that kind of suck, but are worth it in the long run.

If you're also leading the life of a writer and something else, I'd love to know what choices you've made in order to juggle both! 

8 comments:

  1. Good post, Joan! Argh, so many choices to be made. To be honest, I sacrifice a lot of obligatory college reading and end up with more mediocre grades *sigh*. Also SO MANY hours of lost sleep.
    But we'll get there! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg don't remind me about the lost sleep. one day, when we're both pubbed and famous, we'll catch up on it all

      Delete
  2. Love this post! It's so true that you can't pursue both writing and an education at the same time without sacrificing something. I personally don't have much of a social life either (although I do go out once in a while) and I probably don't spend nearly as much time on my homework as I really should. I aaalso rely pretty heavily on school breaks and things like NaNoWriMo to keep me actively writing, at this point, because my non-school writing projects tend to fall by the wayside during the semester (especially this year, with honors thesis and work/internship and extra curriculars). I've also definitely benefited from giving up a lot of stuff to pursue theatre and acting all while growing up, like you did with the artist track; I knew what I was getting myself into when I chose to do all of this in college, which has made the hard parts easier.

    Anyway: I clearly connected with this post haha. Thanks for writing it! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're the most amazing super woman I know though - running a conference, interning, creative writing all at once! and rocking in general ;)

      also seems like just yesterday that I was on your blog for the first time and connecting over all your posts. how did we get so old? can't believe you're so close to graduating

      Delete
  3. This is honestly why I am a Psych major now, too. I used to be a film major (before switching to a minor--which just means that I have enough credits for a minor but don't have to take any more film classes) but ended up switching in junior year because it was just impossible to juggle all the papers I had to write for class with things I actually wanted to write. I've had A LOT more time to write since switching to Psych (since, like you said, a lot of it has to do with reading and memorizing) so I don't really have any regrets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally can relate - one of the major reasons why I didn't pursue a creative writing major was because I realized I'd probably get sucked into all the obligatory writing assignments, and then be too tired to write my own things. yay for psych major :)

      Delete
  4. Loved this post!
    From one introvert to another...find another introvert friend (or two) and GO TO A PARTY! You don't have to stay long or partake in any of the activities or beverages...but you do need to have the experience. It can be one of the most memorable (and perhaps hilarious) moments of your life. Plus there may be a ton of writing ideas you can use from the 'college life experience'. Being an introvert, I didn't go to many parties, but the ones I did attend I still remember, dare I say...30 years later...gulp!
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. alright anne, you've lit a fire under my butt...I am determined to find a fellow introvert now and brave a party together before my college experience ends. will report back to you ;)

      Delete