Friday, December 30, 2016

2016: A Year in Review



For many, I know that 2016 was a year of more downs than ups. The reverse may also be true. I can't speak for everyone, only myself. So I'm going to outline my year by focusing on the personal events (as we all know what went down in November :( ).

2016: A Year in Review

January

  • signed with my super-agent
  • visited Harry Potter World and bought a chocolate frog
  • finished writing my 5th manuscript, THE FINAL BRILLIANCY, which clocked in at 71k
  • registered for my first ever Creative Writing course (!)
  • also registered in a second semester of Chinese Language 
February 
  • caught an extremely bad cold
  • fell down a revision hole
March
  • still lived in the revision hole
April
  • climbed out of the revision hole!
  • attacked by a bunch of shiny new story ideas. Saved for later
May
  • honestly don't know what happened. Passed like a dream. Somehow earned a second semester of straight A's. Remembered to celebrate the academic successes
  • decided to return to Taiwan for a second year of teaching the SATs (never escaping them :') )
  • experienced a lot of heartburn :(
June
  • still experiencing heartburn
  • broke my phone two weeks into Taiwan (a first, and a last, I hope)
  • still managed to take the MRT in the wrong direction
  • tried to write, and failed
  • ate an unhealthy amount of pizza. Who knew pizza in Taiwan was so good
  • caught ANOTHER extremely bad cold. In fact, pretty sure it was the flu. Everything ached, including my teeth. Did a meet and greet with my students while I could barely breathe
July
  • still living the phoneless life
  • tried to write, and actually wrote in Starbucks, my true love. 13k.
  • watched my first horror with my students
  • watched Steins;Gate, and the recommendation of a student 
  • consumed more teppanyaki than I'm proud of
August
  • said goodbye to my students :(
  • returned from Taiwan and made a resolution to stop getting sick as often. Started to work out, aiming 4/7 days a week
  • also made a resolution to eat healthier :')
  • registered for a THIRD semester of Chinese Language
  • registered for my first Chinese History Course
  • mentoring in PW!
September
  • still working out, and 5/7 days a week
  • tried to buckle down into writing
  • school. ack
  • living with the dream roommates
  • watched my first Korean drama. Don't let me do it again. It's bad for me 
  • still mentoring in PW!
October
  • STILL working out. Somehow
  • STILL school. ack
  • existential crisis
  • considered grad school
  • tried not to think about grad school
  • remembered that I'm now a junior
  • turned 20; celebrated with friends. Probably my one social event of the semester
  • stayed in the dorms during Fall Break to write
  • more PW mentoring!
November
  • pinch me but STILL WORKING OUT?!
  • Still school x.x
  • dream roommate gets into study-abroad for spring semester :D D':
  • stayed in the dorms over Thanksgiving break to write (did go home for Thanksgiving dinner)
  • registered for a FOURTH semester of Chinese language
  • Started watching WESTWORLD and holy. Moly. 
  • PITCHWARS MENTEE GETS OFFER!
December
  • is this working out thing here to stay???
  • said farewell to the dream roommate
  • straight A semester #3 but school is still ack. 
  • started reading my first Chinese book and basically googletranslating every other word, but PROGRESS
  • STAYING IN THE DORMS TO WRITE OVER WINTER BREAK WOOOO!!! Actually though, it's good for productivity. But creepy. Probably won't do again, but still. 
Highlights: Writing. Teaching in Taiwan. Getting heath...ier. Re-charged the creative well with a lot of amazing shows. 

Could be better: Probably too much writing at the cost of a social life (or life in general). My goal in 2017 is to try to spend as much time as a hermit possibly can with friends and loved ones. 

Here's to 2017! I'd love to hear about your year/what you're looking forward to in the coming one!  

No comments:

Post a Comment