Friday, April 5, 2013

Upcoming! Wrtier's Digest Conference

You know, I'm glad that I'm young. Grateful, actually. Because I'm still slightly sane after functions off 4 hours of sleep for the past three days. Yup, this week has been a rough one. There's just so much to do and so little time.

As a consequence of this, the Writer's Digest Conference that I signed up for a few months back is now staring at me right in the face. Originally, I came across the event on the awesome Julia's blog (check it out!). Before this, I didn't even know what a writing conference was. My idea of a conference was always more along the lines of what is actually a writing retreat, but soon I found out that there are some amazing speakers that I'd love to listen to, some fancy notes I'd love to type (I'm a pro note taker. I love Uniball pens and spiral notebooks with pretty covers. Do not judge!), and more importantly, some celebrities (coughagentscough) that I'd LOVE to meet/pitch to/exchange contact info with. That's me being opitmistic.

Pretty soon, I knew that I had to go. Try one out. Now, these conferences are cheap. The WDC one runs for three days and as you can guess, is pretty darn expensive. As a compromise, I'll be waking up tomorrow at 4:30 (sleep is not important), catching a megabus at 6, and arriving in NY by 8--HOPEFULLY. I really have my fingers crossed for a traffic free day. Then I'll be in heaven from 9-7 (or more accurately, working myself into a palm-sweating heart-beating frenzy as I prep my pitch) and will be catching a bus back to PA so that I can hit the snooze at 10. With this plan, there's no need to dish out extra money on crazy-expensive NY hotels, but I'll still get a full experience of speakers and pitching.

I'm really excited :) I'll definitely blog about the conference so keep an eye out! Meanwhile, let me entertain you with randomness:

What I'll be bringing to the conference:

-Maybe my laptop, but definitely a notepad and pens
-last minute business cards AKA pieces of paper that I'll cut out with my email address, name, and phone number
-water
-comfy shoes
-layers of clothing

And that's all!

If you are looking into going to a conference, my best advice is to search for all the ways you can cut costs without sacrificing its value. If you live within a decent distance, maybe think about hoteling at home. OR, if you must stay near the conference, I'd look outside of the hotel suggestions that the conference itself offers. Conferences, especially big name ones like WDC, have to keep up their reputation, so they aren't likely to suggest a motel, but hey, you can make the decision here :)

Okay, wish me luck this weekend! Tell me of any conferences that you have been to or would like to go to.




3 comments:

  1. GOOD LUCK!!! I'm so freaking excited for you, you have no idea! Also, by the way, they announced two extra agents for the Pitch Slam tomorrow, so I figured I'd share that info with you. :) So:

    1. Rachel Exstrom from Irene Goodman (reps YA, mystery, thriller, and *I think* women's fiction?)
    2. Kristin Nelson from the Nelson Agency (OMG IT'S KRISTIN FREAKING NELSON. Reps YA and a variety of other things but yeah. KRISTIN NELSON.)

    I hope traffic works out in your favor! :) Yay WDC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE Kristin. She repped LEGEND, one of my fave dystopians :D Unfortunately, she sent me a rejection one day before before the conference, so when I saw her face on the packet I was all :(

      Delete
  2. Ooh, so fun! Hope you're having a great time over there!

    ReplyDelete