Monday, March 28, 2016

Self-Compassion Series: A Decompression Guide


The title says it all. For more context, I recently tweeted that I didn't get a chance to decompress over Spring Break, and so I'm trying to do that now. I'm a semi-workaholic ("semi" because I usually don't care at all about the things I'm not passionate about) and sometimes it's hard to remember to take some time to reengage with other passions.

Usual disclaimer: This is a list of things that work for me - yours will probably look different. I find the act of writing out the list helpful in reaffirming that I should do some of these things, so you might find it helpful to write out yours too.


THE GUIDE

1. Pleasure-read. This can be CPing, but often times for me, since I feel obligated to give any MS I'm CPing serious thought and digestion, I don't consider CPing pleasure reading. 
2. Go to a cozy cafe and eat + drink delicious things.
3. Combination of the above: read at your favorite cafe.
4. Catch up on sleep.
5. Exercise.
6. Take nice, long walks that don't really do anything significant for your cardiovascular health but are really good for you nonetheless.
7. Retail therapy.
8. Go out to dinner.
9. Watch a movie.
10. Engage in other forms of story-consumption - read fanfiction, read manga, watch anime, watch TV shows. 
11. If you have a pet, hug it.
12. If you're an extrovert - go be social.
13. If you're an introvert...try being social, unless it stresses you out, in which case hermit away.
14. Clean your living/working space.
15. Wash the pillowcases, sheets, and blankets.
16. Stay in your newly-cleaned bed all day.
17. Bake.
18. Cook.
19. Share your baking and cooking with someone special.
20. Be okay with doing "nothing". This is honestly the hardest one for me. It's okay to be unproductive. It's all about the balance. 


What are some things that you do to decompress? 

No comments:

Post a Comment